Barley is a great baby food which is non-allergenic and relatively easy to digest.Barley powder is a protein-rich powder and it is very good for your baby when weaning begins.I recommend this powder for making barley water,barley cereals for babies after introducing rice/rice and dal water.
Check out baby food recipes .
Barley powder needs less time for cooking compared to whole barley.I started feeding barley water for viki,it set him too.For gautham i introduced barley little later as i chose oats that time.You can give this water/cereal to toddlers.
Barley Powder for babies (5to6+ months)
Thats It : Wash Barley - Dry roast - Grind it
Total Time : 15mins
1.Wash & drain the barley completely.Keep them in the strainer for 2mins and tap it to remove excess water.[Or sun dry it]
2.Dry roast the barley in heavy-bottomed pan in low-medium flame.Roast it for 6-7mins till it becomes dry.Transfer it to the plate.Cool down.
3.Take it into the jar,grind it to a fine powder.
4.Store it in air-tight container.
Barley powder is ready !!!
Keep some points in mind before introducing first / other foods to your babies.
* Six months of complete breastfeeding is essential for babies.Those who are not comfortable physically will go for introducing other recipes.Dont introduce new foods when your baby is suffering from cold and cough as that time mothers milk is the best remedy for that.
* Sterilize the bowls,spoons and bottles before feeding the foods.
* Keep reserve the seperate cooking pot(preferrably small) for making foods for babies.
* Make the homemade cereal powders in small quantity,very helpful one.
* Always start by feeding thin clear water/soup first.
* Serve it slightly warm,they hate chilled(room temperature) food.
* After introducing a new food,wait for 2days to check the reaction (it may be loose motion,mild rashes)in their body.[check 3days rule for infants in internet]
* Continue your first food recipe for 3days in alternate days, then switch over to next one.
* Say 'No' to salt,sugar,spiciness till 10months as all tastes are new to them and serve it little warm,they hate cool/room temp most of the times.[Its purely your wish]
* Strictly a big 'No' to honey till one year.
* Ghee and jaggery(good than sugar) is advisible after 6months.[Its purely your wish]