Dal powder is the essential food for babies which loads protein and gives required energy.I started feeding this powder along with rice powder.You can also cook this seperately and give it to your babies as a dal water.Initially for my first batch, i wanted/preferred to be two seperate powders like rice powder,dal powder which is comfortable for me.While making rice and dal water for his lunch,i added both the powders with carrot,cooked it and strain the water.
Check out baby food recipes ...
If you are having rice powder seperately in hands,its very handy while they are having cough and cold.If your toddler reached 6months,for the next batch,you prepare the combination of rice & dal powder as a single powder.
Now your baby is very active and see the things different.Vikram is ready to reach 6months and am so excited to see the development and never missed to record it too.
Dal Powder for babies (4to6+ months) :
Thats It : Wash/Drain dals - Roast it - Grind it
Total Time : 15mins
Makes : 3/4Cup+
Moong Dal 1/2Cup
Toor Dal 1/4Cup
Cumin seeds/jeera 1/2tsp
Hing/ perungayam 2pinches
1.Wash the both dals thoroughly and strain it through the strainer.Keep them as it is in strainer for 2mins,tap it for excess removing of water.
2.Dry roast the dals in a heavy-bottomed pan in low-medium flame.Wet dal takes nearly 4mins to dry up.
3.Now roast it for a min,add cumin seeds and again roast it till the aroma wafts(3mins).Transfer the roasted dal into the plate and cool down.
5.Add cooled dal and hing to the blender,grind it to a fine powder.
6.Store it in air-tight container.
Dal Powder is Ready!!!
Keep some points in mind before introducing first / other foods to your babies.
* Six months of complete breastfeeding is essential for babies.Those who are not comfortable physically will go for introducing other recipes.Dont introduce new foods when your baby is suffering from cold and cough as that time mothers milk is the best remedy for that.
* Sterilize the bowls,spoons and bottles before feeding the foods.
* Keep reserve the seperate cooking pot(preferrably small) for making foods for babies.
* Make the homemade cereal powders in small quantity,very helpful one.
* Always start by feeding thin clear water/soup first.
* Serve it slightly warm,they hate chilled(room temperature) food.
* After introducing a new food,wait for 2days to check the reaction (it may be loose motion,mild rashes)in their body.[check 3days rule for infants in internet]
* Continue your first food recipe for 3days in alternate days, then switch over to next one.
* Say 'No' to salt,sugar,spiciness till 10months as all tastes are new to them and serve it little warm,they hate cool/room temp most of the times.[Its purely your wish]
* Strictly a big 'No' to honey till one year.
* Ghee and jaggery(good than sugar) is advisible after 6months.[Its purely your wish]